* For longer wear, blot lips after applying lipstick to set color and remove excess. Add a thin layer of loose or pressed powder, then apply color again.
* Turn down too much shine by holding a single-ply tissue to your lips and pressing a little loose powder through it - just enough will sift through the tissue to adhere to color and reduce the shine.
* Turn up the shine with a thin layer of clear lip gloss over lipstick or alone.
* For high-voltage shine and color, try a lip lacquer over lipstick or alone.
* For fuller, poutier lips, spotlight lip gloss right in the center of your mouth.
* Keep matte lip color from drying your lips - use a lip primer or lip color fixative before you apply the matte color.
* For evening special effects, apply a sheer lip-gloss in silver, gold or an iridescent shade over the lip color.